« Emerging Science MuseumMainToilet Attack »

Flying Back to Europe

My last days in Tokyo turned out to be really hectic and I didn't get a chance to blog anything before I boarded my long flight back to Finland with SAS. It was a disappointing flight - the stewardesses were rude, especially to the Japanese, and the Airbus seats only reclined six inches, making me feel like I was going to have bed sores across my arse by the time we reached Europe. SAS had been boasting that they had wi-fi on all flights between Asia and Scandinavia but when I asked about it they replied, " Well, we do... but it's not working."

Eleven hours later we touched down in Copenhagen. I'd arranged to meet up with Lisbeth and Jesper for something to eat, and soon enough I'd been persuaded to see Nina as well, whom I hadn't seen since I was going out with her over two years ago. As usual, I'd left it too late to start packing on my last night in Tokyo, had ended up wandering around Japanese supermarkets at midnight, and had only managed to get a few hours sleep before heading to the airport. Hence, I was pretty spaced out by this time, and stringing simple sentences together was becoming something of a challenge. Nonetheless, meeting up with Nina and clearing the air turned out to be one of the best things I could have done with six hours in Copenhagen; but then again there isn't much else to do there.

After repossessing my ice skates and being forced to drink a lot of Danish beer I narrowly managed to catch my onward flight to Helsinki while they inexplicably paged me in Polish over the airport intercom. After flying westwards through seven time zones that day in a desperate attempt to stay young forever, somewhere over the Baltic time finally caught up with me and I arrived in Finland one year older. I felt bad. It was now 24 hours since I'd left the hotel in Tokyo, I was exhausted, aching from carrying too much luggage, and jet-lagged. Or maybe this was just what being 34 felt like. Getting out my seat was difficult. I collected my bags, which were the last on the belt apart from that one bag that no-one ever picks up as the person who owns it has died or been taken away by immigration, and it just spins around in the airport all night on it's own after everyone has left.

It was fantastic to see Carita again, who'd brought Ira to the airport to meet me as well, and it felt like we'd been apart for months. All the airport buses had stopped running by this time, however, and strangely it took us some time to find a taxi driver who didn't mind a Rottweiler in his car and we could finally get back to the flat.

The whole Japan trip was a fantastic experience in one of the friendliest countries I've ever been lucky enough to travel to and, as much of the time I was so busy there, rushing around trying to fit in as much as possible, I'll carry on writing about all the things I didn't have time to blog.


Hi Bron,

Don't know wheter you will get this.
Well done on your trip to japan.
It is very interesting.... next time
can I go ??

Please take your time rest and we look forward
to hearing your comments
Love to carita and I...r/a


Must take the bate....I can't resist.....must defend Airbus.....the operators chose both the seats and the pitch so you can't blame them! Nice to know your safely back though :-)

...knew you couldn't resist!
thought that might be the case but you really shouldn't let them - insist on big reclining seats for everyone.
congrats on getting that big thing to fly yesterday (though I'm sure it was all faked like they did with the moon landing...)

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)